Monday, February 27, 2006

Aspiring To Be A Politician - Carlos

I'm one of those kids Cesar talks about who used to say that "I want to go into politics." I doubt that remains true today, but it was a dream; more than just a dream, it was something to aspire to. You see, although now I realize that politicos are regular people, like you and me, when Cesar and I were growing up, I viewed politicians in the same light as I viewed teachers, lawyers, doctors, and bankers. They were people who lived in nice neighborhoods, had good jobs, and were educated.

Growing up in the barrio we didn't see many politicos. They appeared on t.v. and we heard about them during election time. I'm not sure what they did, but I knew they were doing something, that if one day I worked hard enough, I could achieve. Right or wrong, that's what I thought.

A perfect example of a man who wanted to be a politico is Rafael Rodriguez. It must have been in 2000, when Rafael Rodriguez became the Mayor of El Cenizo, TX. El Cenizo is a small pueblo south of Laredo, TX. A bunch of raza, many w/o papers, live there. Mayor Rodriguez, a man who wanted to become a politician, became the mayor of the city and decided that he was going to hold his City Council meetings in Spanish.

Mayor Rodriguez had a dream, he became a politician, and ignited a controversy because he wanted to make sure that other residents of the town got involved in local politics. He used his power as a politico to bring politics to the people. He had a dream to become a politician and he made the most of it.

It's good to have a dream. Why not want to become a politician, a lawyer, a doctor, or a soldier? Why not.

1 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

i think i have to agree with your brother on this one. ideally polticians wouldn't become politicians to further their personal career ambitions. politicians should be civil servants. working for the good of a community, not for their own personal careers.

but maybe that's me being unrealistic.

12:36 PM, March 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home